Monday, January 25, 2016

Book Blog #20, The Secret Life of Bees, week #2

The Secret Life of Bees                                                                                              by Sue Monk Kidd
The Secret Life of BeesLily meets the out-going sisters, August, May, and June. Lily and Rosaleen instantly feel at home. She learns about religion and life styles she couldn't dream of. From beekeeping to praying, she starts to fit into the wacky lifestyle when a tragedy occurs. It affects everyone in the household. She always wonders about her past, and she ends learning more about it than she ever wanted to know. Her future has been filled with twists and turns, and she wonders how much change needs to take place before Lily can settle down into a normal routine again.


Book Group Assignment Paragraphs
I personally enjoyed this book a lot. I enjoyed how many emotions were conveyed through it, and how much I felt like I know the characters. The other thing that I really like about it is how realistic it is. There were very few parts of it that seemed unrealistic, which make it seem more believable and authentic. The time that the book is set in is portrayed very well, and it is accurate as far as I can tell. This improves the story for me because it makes it seem more realistic and enjoyable. I like that relationships between characters progress really well and realistically. This like I said above, helped the book feel more realistic to me, and made it seem like all of the characters were growing and changing. The style in which the book is written also helps to progress the book, because how people talk and think are written in a similar fashion. The author also put the right amount of thought and length into everything that happened, which paced the book really well.

Even though that all of the main protagonists are female, it is still a good book for boys to read because there is a lot of thought that goes on and interesting discussion topics no matter your gender. This makes it a good book group for anyone because there are so many interesting topics and controversial things in the book. It has a story and history that is important for people to know, because it is about the Civil Rights Act, which is important to learn about.


Warning!! There is a fair amount of profanity used in this book, although most of it makes sense in context, but it is a little excessive at some points. There is also some violence, but it did not hinder the story, but it was realistic.

TBR list
Seveneves   by Neal Stephenson
Side effects may vary   by Julie Murphy
Into thin air   by Jon Kraukauer
Leviathan Wakes   by James A. Corey
Farenheit 451   by Ray Bradbury

4 comments:

  1. Good summary and description. That's amusing that the characters are named April, May, June, and August? Seems like a pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book sounds good. I might try it. Good summary.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book was really good. Good job in book group :) !!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds like a great book for my unit. Nice review.

    ReplyDelete