Katniss Everdeen lives in district 12, a rancid place where the miners work and seeing people die of starvation is an every day occurrence. After her father's death in a coal mine, Katniss needs to step up and feed her family, as her mother is stuck with depression. Every year, there is a reaping to decide which two tributes will take art in the Hunger Games, where the 24 tributes all have to enter an arena and fight to the death, in a bloody, gruesome battle that lasts for days, all as a reminder that the capitol reigns supreme over everyone else. When the unthinkable happens, Katniss has to enter the games, and she has to hope that she can beat the unthinkable odds of her winning.I personally enjoyed this book, even though most of the characters are shallow, and I feel like some of it could be more realistic. This is one of the better dystopian books I have read, and I would recommend it to any dystopian fan. One of the things that I like a out his book is that it is a unique story, at least for the time it was published, and it is enjoyable and fast paced to read. I think that a lot of the characters are shallow because it seems like they have simple emotions, and it is just like: oh, I feel this, now I feel this. I think that it would be more realistic because it seems like some reactions of the characters are harsh, and they wouldn't actually be that bad, for example, when something bad happens, they just walk up to their allies and kill them. Overall, this is a good book, but it has some flaws and I would recommend it.
WARNING- There is gory death, cannibalism, rebellion, romance, killing, etc.
TBR list:
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon
Ape House by Sara Grueno
The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon, Lucia Graves (translator, from spanish)
The Meaning of Night by Michael Cox
The Quincunx by Charles Palliser
I agree. And it's district 12. Nice review, you are very honest.
ReplyDeleteNice review. (it's District 12, as Maia said above)
ReplyDeleteNice review. (it's District 12, as Maia said above)
ReplyDeleteInteresting how you described District 12 as rancid.I'd agree though.
ReplyDeleteInteresting how you described District 12 as rancid.I'd agree though.
ReplyDelete