Sunday, November 15, 2015

Book Blog #11, Hamlet, week 1

HamletHamlet, week 1                                           by William Shakespeare
Hamlet's father tragically died, and the throne was then ruled by King Cornelius, Hamlet's uncle. King Cornelius had married Queen Gertrude, who less than a month previously had been married to the late king. The Ghost of Hamlet's father shows up in the dead of night, and leaves at the cock's crow. Hamlet talks to the ghost, and learns that the ghost craves revenge for his death. An epic tragedy has been woven by the end. Murder, deceit, and death can be found anywhere, but are especially common on the throne.
Overall, this book has been good and I have liked it. It has been challenging to decipher the old English used fluently throughout. It is a gripping storyline, but it is long and the monologues drag on quite often. I would recommend this book if you enjoy more serious books that will provide quite a literary challenge. I would recommend getting an addition that has translations for some of the words and phrases, as it I easier to understand if you don't have to guess what things mean.
There is minor profanity so far, although you should be prepared for the Shakespearean language. There is also gore when describing death and the violence in the book.


I enjoy most genres of books, but lately I have enjoyed fiction books that are mostly serious, but are still fun to read or have some magic in them. Several examples are The Night Circus, Fire and Flood, and Splintered. I have also started enjoying more far fetched realistic fiction like The Martian, 1984, Thirteen Reasons Why, and Flowers for Algernon.


TBR List
Speak
The Host
The Future of us
The Archaeology of Weapons
Son, and the rest of the Giver Quartet
Love Letters to the Dead
The House of Ivy and Sorrow

4 comments:

  1. YOU SHOULD READ THE FUTURE OF US LIKE IT SAYS ON YOU tbr.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Judging by the books on your TBR list, I would recommend The List. Yes, it's kind of a teen book (drama, typical high school stuff, etc) but it has the same basic plot and genre as a lot of the books on your TBR list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Judging by the books on your TBR list, I would recommend The List. Yes, it's kind of a teen book (drama, typical high school stuff, etc) but it has the same basic plot and genre as a lot of the books on your TBR list.

    ReplyDelete