Thursday, March 17, 2016

SOLC 18- First Performance

First Performance of The Little Mermaid jr.

Image thanks to: http://ticketleap-
media-master.s3.amazonaws.com/
61b645b7-e4bc-46cc-a611-0a1cb
45b0048/hero.jpg
Wow. This has been a really stressful week, with the play taking up over 5 hours every night, but I was able to plow through it. The final dress rehearsal on Wednesday went well, but I felt nothing compared to the stress I feel now, now that it is time to get in front of about 70-140 people. We are prepared, and ready to do this. Now, just time to get into my base costume and do my makeup and hair. Both of these tasks have taken a lot of practice, but we all have got them down and are acting like a well oiled machine with stagecraft, although there are a few wrenches thrown in here and there, like all shows.

Walking onto stage for that first number felt invigorating, like I was free of a constant stress, and I was ready to just perform and sing out. After Fathoms Below, I run off to do my quick change, which in reality is about 3 minutes long, but my costume takes more than that to change into. I pull on the jacket, the pants, the aviator hat and goggles, the boots, and then finally the feather boa. I am already starting to overheat, but it is a ravenously fun number, and easily one of my favorites. I get back out on stage and sing Human Stuff and do the steps that were so carefully planned. That was the first time I have ever done it all right, so I end feeling great. The show goes on like this for quite some time, with quick changes spattered in between all of the scenes and scores. We take our final bows after getting the ending "ahhs" right and walk off stage, all cheering and talking about how we finished our first performance. It was an incredible rush.

We finally did it right, and you could tell by how happy everyone was. Our family went to Sam's no. 3 for dinner, after the only other meal my sister and I had was at 3 o'clock, so we were both ravenously hungry. We got shakes, and in general celebrated the rush of opening night. I personally think it went well, and think that it has been worth it. I hope everyone else who came or is involved in it thinks the same, and I am excited for the next three performances!

7 comments:

  1. Hu-man stuff! Awk! Awk! You did great. The play was awesome, good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I would be so nervous, but it sounds like you are handling the nerves and stress really well. Good luck and great slice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I would be so nervous, but it sounds like you are handling the nerves and stress really well. Good luck and great slice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, young padawan, I am calling you out on being such a doubter. Seriously, you sea-chorus types have one of the toughest jobs: You aren't on for all the scenes, but you need to juggle a bunch of costumes and characters and the like. Good work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was really fun and I'm glad you enjoyed it! You did a great job! Lets hope everything goes well tonight! Nice slice!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was so much fun last night! Great description!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That sounds terrifying and fun at the same time! I'm excited to see the play Saturday.

    ReplyDelete