Leading worship
| It is actually scary how close this is to what our church actually looks like. |
This year, my church decided that the younger youth Sunday school class would lead the Easter vigil. Ten or so 5th to 7th graders leading a worship service, the most important service, as it is sometimes said. What on earth could go wrong? There were many odd parts about it. Lets just say there was a:
children's storybook bible,
a construction light,
a joint sermon that talks about unicorns,
a basket of bread,
2 large blue pieces of cloth,
four warbling weird solos,
a semi-rapped bible verse,
a giant projector,
many, many confusing bible verses,
ten-ish children,
Like I said before, What could go wrong?
Oh, I forgot to mention:
the giant candle,
the mini-grill,
the lapel microphones,
the children serving communion,
people putting holy water on other people,
A shadow play,
A sheet held up with dowels,
a malfunctioning slide show,
discussing who god has killed.
Nothing could possibly go wrong!... right?
Wrong!
The nook that the sermon was on went haywire,
the crown in the shadow play fell of about 8 times in 30 seconds,
every soloist's voice missed the warble,
the "rapper" had to say the word phophesi,
we discussed if newness is a word,
the mics were set to loudly,
and guess what?
it was all caught on camera or on tape!
Yet in the end, regardless of the sermon on Noah's Ark,
besides the reading of a children's bible that surprised the person that suggested it,
through the Loud, then quiet, then Loud, then quiet microphones,,
regardless of the giant 2 and a half foot tall candle spilling welted wax everywhere,
despite every small issue, it turned out really good.
My first time preaching gave a good message even though it had been written at Starbucks at 7 PM,
The odd children's bible made people laugh,
the solos turned out OK,
despite everything, it turned out well.
Lets just say, that it was very interesting, nerve wracking, confusing, out of place, wrong note filled, cooky, young-child filled, when everything had a small mishap. It was still good, and everyone enjoyed it and applauded when it was done. Even though in the joint sermon I was called "Mr. Theologian" because I gave all of the answers to my incompetent friend over there who I wrote the sermon with, who made me say, about Noah's ark, "maybe the unicorns missed the memo." Despite it all, it was a roller coaster, and lets just say the holy water was necessary, and it went well in the end. I would also say for my first service and sermon ever, it was pretty decent.
Image credit:
Sounds interesting, but good job! I would never have been able to do something like that.
ReplyDeleteThis sounds very interesting and nerve wracking. I wouldn't be able to do something like that without hyperventilating. Great slice!
ReplyDeleteYou made me laugh. Often what we planned doesn't turn out the way we pictured it. This one sounds like nobody even knew anything went wrong.
ReplyDeleteThat sounds really stressful, I can totally see how you felt by the way you wrote this slice, nice!
ReplyDelete